Whether you are planning to sell and want a better price or are just wanting to improve your garden palms are a quick easy way to achieve a great result. With spring well and truly here, now is the time to prepare your upcoming gardening adventures. Palms are always popular and can create a feeling of tropical paradise in your garden. They are perfect for a quick revamp of your garden or to hide an old, tired fence.
Here’s a step by step guide to planting palms:
- When you select the type of palm, look carefully at the availability of space as some palms grow very tall and others can be quite bulky. Also check on what types are most suitable for your climate.
- Choose the location mindfully. In particular, large palms may require heavy equipment to assist with planting so consider access.
- Ensure there are no underground services where you wish to plant.
- Manoeuvre the tree near to where you are going to plant
- Excavate a hole that is approximately 30% larger than the root ball. This will allow the root structure to grow into lose soil.
- Ease the tree into the hole. The root ball should remain 2-3 inches above the surrounding ground.
- Straighten the tree and back-fill the hole.
- Stake the tree to keep it standing.
- Water tree thoroughly and maintain watering until it’s established.
- Make sure it’s not going to block the light into your home when it is fully grown!